More about Vienna

 

Prater - Riesenrad


The Wiener Riesenrad (German for "Vienna giant wheel"), or Riesenrad  is a Ferris wheel at the entrance of the Prater amusement park in Leopoldstadt, the 2nd district of Austria's capital Vienna. It was one of the earliest Ferris wheels, erected in 1897 to celebrate Emperor Franz Josef I's golden Jubilee. The designer was an Englishman, Walter Bassett, which explains why the wheel's diameter  is a round number in Imperial units - 200 feet (approximately 61 m). The Riesenrad is now one of Vienna's most popular tourist attractions, and symbolises the district as well as the city for many people.

Adress: Riesenradplatz 1, 1022 Vienna

This and the following articles are licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia . Please click on the pictures to see the complete Article.

 


Vienna State Opera


The Vienna State Opera (Wiener Staatsoper), located in Vienna, Austria, is one of the most important opera houses - and opera companies - in the world.

The members of the equally prestigious Vienna Philharmonic are recruited from the orchestra at the Staatsoper.

Adress: Opernring 2, 1010 Vienna

 


Vienna Rathaus


The Rathaus is a building in Vienna which serves as the seat both of the mayor  and city council of the city of Vienna which also serve, in personal union, as Governor and Assembly (Landtag) of the State of Vienna, a state with the Austrian federal system.

The Rathaus was designed by Friedrich von Schmidt in the Gothic  style, and built between 1872 and 1883. On the top of the tower is the Rathausmann, one of the symbols of Vienna. Facing the Rathaus is a large park, the Rathauspark.

Adress: Rathausplatz 1, 1010 Vienna

 


Vienna Urania


The Urania is a public educational institute and observatory in Vienna.

It was built according to the plans of Art Nouveau architect Max Fabiani (a student of Otto Wagner) at the mouth of the Wien River and was opened in 1910 by Franz Joseph I of Austria as an educational center with a public observatory. It was named after the Muse Urania who represents Astronomy.


Adress: Uraniastraße 1, 1010 Vienna

 

Technisches Museum Vienna


The Technisches Museum Wien (German for Vienna Technical Museum) lies in Vienna (Austria), in Penzing district, on the Mariahilferstraße 212. The decision to establish a technical museum was made in 1908, construction of the building started in 1909 and the museum was opened in 1918. The permanent exhibition categories include: Nature and Knowledge: astronomy, principals, physics; Heavy industry: mining, iron, steel; Energy; Mass production - luxury goods; Everyday life - directions for use; Communications and information media; Musical instruments; Transport; Basic Research - A great adventure.
 
Adress: Mariahilferstrasse 212, 1140 Vienna

 

Stadtpark Vienna


The Viennese City Park (German: Wiener Stadtpark) extends from the Parkring  in the First District of Vienna up to the Heumarkt (a street, literally translated as hay market) in the Third District and is visited both by tourists and by native Viennese. The total surface area is 65,000 m².

The gilded bronze monument of Johann Strauß II, is one of the most known and most frequently photographed monuments in Vienna. It was revealed to the public on 26 June 1921 and is framed by a marble relief made by Edmund Hellmer. The gilding was removed in 1935 and laid on again only in 1991.

There are several other monuments, e.g. of Franz Schubert, Franz Lehár, Robert Stolz and Hans Makart; the Stadtpark is the park with the largest number of monuments and sculptures in Vienna.

Adress: Am Heumarkt, 1030 Vienna

 

 


Kunsthistorisches Museum Vienna


The Kunsthistorisches Museum (English: "Museum of Art History") in Vienna, housed in its festive palatial building on Ringstraße, crowned with an octagonal dome, is one of the premier museums of fine arts and decorative arts in the world.

The term Kunsthistorisches Museum applies to both the institution and the main building. It was visited by 619.318 people in 2007

Adress: Burgring 5, 1010 Vienna

 


Donauinsel


The Donauinsel (Danube Island) is an island of 21.1 kilometres length which is only 70-210 metres broad, accompanying the river Danube along most of its way through the town area of Vienna, Austria's capital, on the left escorted by the newly excavated Neue Donau (literally New Danube), practically an elongate (swimming) lake, technically a diluvian bed.

Adress: Donauinsel, 1220 Vienna

 

Karlskirche


The Karlskirche (German for St. Charles's Church) is a church  situated on the south side of Karlsplatz, Vienna. It is located on the edge of the 1st district, 200 metres outside the Ringstraße.

It is one of the most outstanding baroque  church structures north of the Alps, and boasts a dome in the form of an elongated ellipsoid.

Adress: Kreuzherrengasse 1, 1040 Vienna

 


Hundertwasser Haus


The Hundertwasser House Vienna (German Hundertwasserhaus Wien) is an apartment house in Vienna, Austria, designed by Austrian artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser.

This landmark of Vienna is located in the 3. district, Kegelgasse 34-38 / Löwengasse 41-43.

The house was built between 1983 and 1986 by architects Univ.-Prof. Joseph Krawina and Peter Pelikan.

It features undulating floors ("an uneven floor is a melody to the feet"[citation needed]), a roof covered with earth and grass, and large trees growing from inside the rooms, with limbs extending from windows.

Hundertwasser took no payment for the design of the house, declaring that it was worth it, to prevent something ugly from going up in its place.

Adress: Untere Weißgerberstraße 13, 1030 Vienna

 

Gasometer Vienna


The Gasometers in Vienna are four former gas tanks, each of 90,000 m³  storage capacity, built as part of the Vienna municipal gas works Gaswerk Simmering in 1896–1899. They are located in the 11th district, Simmering.

They were used from 1899 to 1984 as gas storage tanks. After the changeover from town gas to natural gas between 1969–1978, they were no longer used and were shut down. Only the brick exterior front walls were preserved. The structures have found a new use in modern times.

The Gasometers were built from 1896 to 1899 in the Simmering district of Vienna near the Gaswerk Simmering gas works of the district. The containers were used to help supply Vienna with town gas, which had previously been provided by the Inter Continental Gas Association (ICGA) in England.

Once the contracts with the ICGA expired, the city decided to construct facilities to handle its own gas needs. At the time, the design was the largest in all of Europe.

Adress: Guglgasse 12, 1110 Vienna

 

Schönbrunn Palace


Schönbrunn Palace (
German: Schloss Schönbrunn [ʃøːnˈbʁʊn]) in Vienna is one of the most important cultural monuments in Austria and since the 1860s has also been one of the major tourist attractions in Vienna.

The palace and gardens illustrate the tastes, interests, and aspirations of successive
Habsburg monarchs.

Adress: Schönbrunner Schloßstraße 47, 1130 Vienna

 

St. Stephens Cathedral


St. Stephen's Cathedral (German: Stephansdom) is the mother church  of the Archdiocese of Vienna and the seat of the Archbishop of Vienna,

Its current Romanesque  and Gothic  form seen today, situated at the heart of Vienna, Austria in the Stephansplatz, was largely initiated by Rudolf IV and stands on the ruins of two earlier churches, the first being a parish church consecrated in 1147.

As the most important religious building in Austria's capital, the cathedral has born witness to many important events in that nation's history and has become one of the city's most recognizable symbols.

Adress: Stephansplatz, 1010 Vienna
 

 

Belvedere (palace)


The Belvedere is a baroque  palace complex built by Prince Eugene of Savoy in the 3rd district of Vienna, south-east of the city centre.

It houses the Österreichische Galerie Belvedere museum.

Adress: Prinz-Eugen-Straße 27, 1030 Vienna

 

 

Heldenplatz


The Heldenplatz ("Heroes' Square") is a historical plaza in Vienna. Many important actions took place here — most notoriously Adolf Hitler's announcement of the Anschluss of Austria to the German Reich  in 1938.

Adress: Heldenplatz, 1010 Vienna